September 7, 2012

A Healthier Lifestyle

I'm not overweight, and I'm very physically active, but I have a higher body fat percentage than I'd like. I've decided to take on a whole new dietary lifestyle to accompany my usual workout routine.

There's a very simple concept behind burning fat: You have to burn more calories than you consume. This can be done by increasing exercise and decreasing the number of calories you take in. I already work out multiple times a week, so now I just need to focus on my calorie intake.

I'm not calling this a diet. Diets are temporary, and don't work for long periods of time. This is a lifestyle change. I want to make this "diet" such a part of my life that it would feel weird not to eat this way.

I've put together a list of foods I'm going to start limiting myself to. The list is definitely non-exhaustive, but I'm going to stick to the general nutritional value of the items included. I'm allowing myself two "normal" meals per week (like a fatty burger or a steak at a steakhouse), but everything else will follow the list.

And of course, the foods on the list don't have to be eaten in their pure state – for example, beans can be used for chili, bread can be used for sandwiches, etc.

If you're looking to eat better as well, this list is a killer guideline.

  • Oatmeal
  • Brown rice
  • Sweet potatoes
  • White potatoes
  • Wheat bread
  • Wheat pasta
  • Beans
  • Broccoli
  • Spinach
  • Salad greens
  • Celery
  • Peppers (red, green, and yellow)
  • Cucumbers
  • Eggs
  • Chicken breast
  • Turkey breast
  • Salmon
  • Apples
  • Cantaloupe
  • Oranges
  • Bananas
  • Peaches
  • Strawberries

No comments:

Post a Comment