February 8, 2013

I write because I have to

“Writers will happen in the best of families.” ~Rita Mae Brown
For over three years now, I've been writing and editing VentureBreak. Before that, I wrote a blog on WordPress.com. Before that, I had a Blogger blog. And I have this blog, too. I'm also always writing short stories and starting novels I know I'll never finish. I've also written an ebook. Why the hell would someone write that much?

See that quote up there? Rita is saying that a true writer has to write. Born that way. No choice.

I write because I have to. I write to stay sane, or, sometimes, to get sane. It's a creative outlet. It's a hobby. It's a job. But the obsession to communicate through the written word is also a disease. It's like diabetes—maybe you can't cure it, but you can certainly treat it. For a writer, the only treatment is submission. Giving into the urge makes it go away, for a while.

I love it, though. It's one of my passions. I've been writing for as long as I can remember, and I don't think I'll be quitting anytime soon.

So, if I'm gonna write, I might as well let people read the stuff, right? That's one of the cool things about blogs, and the Internet in general. As soon as I write something, all I have to do is click one button to share it with the world. Anyone can read it, even if no one does. Within minutes, I can get comments telling me how much the piece sucked, or how good it was. Pretty cool, if you ask me.

“One writes to make a home for oneself, on paper, in time, in others’ minds.” ~Alfred Kazin

No comments:

Post a Comment