March 25, 2014

Reviving my old laptop

photoTonight, I powered up an old laptop of mine for the first time in six years. Running Windows XP, the eight-year-old Compaq Presario C304NR has seen better days.

For the record, this is the machine I used for most of the work on my first web startup, so it holds a weird, geeky brand of sentimental value.

After booting (which, by the way, was a loooonnng process), I was prompted to enter a password that I'd long forgotten. That didn't matter, though, because even moving the cursor across the screen was more than I had patience for.

I decided to install Ubuntu on the system to see if I could squeeze any performance out of it with a lighter OS, and it's now running like a new machine! Well, not new... but not eight years old, either!

However, following the hour and a half that went into this little restoration, Ubuntu kindly notified me that "hard disk failure is imminent," and that I should back up my files and replace the drive immediately.

Maybe if it wasn't 1 a.m., and if it was a different (read: newer) machine, I'd put more work into it.

Oh, well. I'll find something to do with it while it lasts.

9 comments:

  1. I just want to tell you that I am new to blogs and definitely enjoyed your web blog. Likely I’m likely to bookmark your blog . You definitely have remarkable posts. Cheers for revealing your blog site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am curious to find out what blog system you have been utilizing? I'm experiencing some small security issues with my latest blog and I'd like to find something more safeguarded. Do you have any solutions?

    ReplyDelete