March 22, 2014

Say Something



Quite often, music videos have little to do with the songs they represent. That’s not the case with “Say Something” by A Great Big World and Christina Aguilera.

When I first heard this song on the radio, I didn’t give it a second thought. But the gorgeous vocals paired with this powerful video took my breath away tonight, indeed bringing me to tears.

The song itself is beautiful in its simplicity. It begins with a four-chord piano accompaniment, later adding an orchestral backing, and finally climaxing with a heartbreaking duet.

The lyrics are open to interpretation, of course, but the video depicts two distinct scenarios:

The first is a couple lying together in bed, clearly amid a mass of tension. She turns away from him as the hook pleads, “Say something, I’m giving up on you.”

“And I am feeling so small. / It was over my head, / I know nothing at all. / And I will stumble and fall. / I’m still learning to love, / Just starting to crawl.”

The second involves an elderly man whose wife has just died. The hook returns as he gently strokes her forehead: “Say something, I’m giving up on you.” He loses control, giving his love one last hug.

“And I will swallow my pride. / You’re the one that I love, / And I’m saying goodbye.”

The song climaxes with both men walking away from the respective beds, each having lost the love of their life.

The message? One of those losses was preventable.

This was an awakening for me, because although I always try to make Sabrina feel loved and cherished, I do sometimes take her for granted, forgetting how lucky I am to have her. I couldn’t ask for more, but I could certainly give a little more.

Tomorrow isn’t guaranteed, so make today count. Tell that special someone you love them. Do something kind. Show someone you care. Say something.

12 comments:

  1. I just want to say I'm new to blogs and honestly loved this web site. Very likely I’m going to bookmark your site . You definitely have fantastic articles and reviews. Thanks a bunch for revealing your blog site.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this website? I'm getting sick and tired of Wordpress because I've had problems with hackers and I'm looking at options for another platform. I would be awesome if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been reading out a lot of of your posts and i can entitlement talented things. I will compose definite to bookmark your blog.

    ReplyDelete